Small Business Showcase | Not Another Bunch of Flowers
Not Another Bunch of Flowers
Not Another Bunch of Flowers offers a range of pretty, yet practical gifts for those in need of cheering up, particularly those facing surgery or aggressive treatment regimens such as chemotherapy. It was set up in 2013 by Anikka Burton, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2011.
“I was diagnosed with an aggressive, locally advanced primary breast cancer in 2011 at the age of 33 and had the full works of chemotherapy, targeted therapy, radiotherapy, hormonal therapy and 5 operations to date.”
“When I was first diagnosed, my wonderful and caring friends, family and colleagues sent me so many bunches of flowers that I ran out of vases, jugs, pint glasses… until I was putting them in saucepans and anything else that would hold water! Knowing that so many people were rooting for me was incredible – it gave me a much-needed boost on the days I was struggling – but, while flowers are bright and beautiful amongst the gloom of illness, there are only so many a girl needs! I was also unable to use other gifts due to the ingredients (many patients are advised to avoid alcohol, dairy, sugar and chemicals such as parabens and even essential oils whilst undergoing treatment).”
“This seemed to be quite common among other women I have met since, so I decided to set up a website selling pretty and pampering gifts that would be suitable for others facing surgery and treatment for any illness. I also wanted to sell something that would be welcome in hospitals given that many trusts no longer allow flowers on hygiene grounds.”
“I searched and asked around and nothing similar seemed to exist for this market. Although there are sites selling general get-well gifts, many would not be suitable or particularly useful for those facing more serious illnesses and treatments.”
Notanotherbunchofflowers.com gives buyers the confidence that their gift will be useful, useable and really appreciated. The range on offer varies from luxury brands to more unique items (handmade by UK designers) and cost from £10 to £150. Although the website was predominantly launched with patients facing surgery and treatment regimens (such as chemotherapy) in mind, due to Anikka’s own personal experiences, the gifts are suitable for anyone who is poorly and in need of cheering up.
Gift options include:
- Handpicked Jewellery with thoughtful and heartfelt messages and sentiments which makes them an excellent “get well” or “thinking of you” gift. These gifts are long-lived and act as an everyday reminder that you are thinking of them.
- Useful Chemotherapy Gifts that are safe for use during treatment.
- As flowers and fruit are now banned on many wards, thoughtful Hospital Gifts are for those facing surgery or hospital stays for any reason.
- New Mums and Mums-To-Be are of course in need of a little TLC! Choose from naturally pampering toiletries, front-fastening dressing gowns and pyjamas, eye masks and earplugs for hospital stays, snuggly slippers, tablet and e-reader stands for the endless hours in bed or breast-feeding, and sweets for morning sickness.
- a handpicked selection of lovely little Gifts Under £10 that can either be sent as a little token gift to remind the recipient that they are in your thoughts – or a few can be packaged together to form a larger hamper.
- General Gifts for anyone in need of a little pick me up and TLC.
- A selection of luxurious Pampering Gifts including toiletries, candles and reed diffusers. All are 100% natural and free from all nasties like parabens and sulphates.
- A fresh pair of pyjamas, a pretty dressing gown or some cosy slippers are a lovely treat when spending time in hospital or recuperating at home ,so choose from a great selection of Nightwear: snuggly bed socks, cuddly quilts and comforting hot water bottles also make lovely gifts at a time that creature comforts become more important.
- Mobility Gifts like funky walking sticks and crutches with accessories.
- The Ready-Made-Hampers are a great choice if you can’t decide; maybe they will inspire you to create your own hamper!
- Not sure what they’d like? Let them choose something they’d find useful to treat themselves with a Gift Voucher. They can be written out to any amount and can be redeemed against anything on the site
- Get well Gifts For Him: choose from pampering kits to sweets for nausea to cosy nightwear.
The best get well gifts are those that lift your spirits, let you escape for a bit with some much deserved pampering, or serve a practical purpose. Creature comforts become so important when you’re stuck at home or in hospital recovering from surgery or childbirth, recuperating from illness, going through treatment, or eight months pregnant and barely able to move.
The gifts on Not Another Bunch of Flowers are handpicked with this in mind – and a proportion of all profits are donated to charities that help support patients facing challenging illnesses, conditions and diagnoses, and invest in research to help find more treatments and cures.
Anikka says “Cancer makes you think about your own mortality and makes you realise how short life can be. For me it made me bite the bullet and set up my own business. I had always wanted to work for myself and being sick inspired me to set up ‘Not Another Bunch of Flowers’ – a website offering pretty and pampering get well gifts as an alternative to flowers. It’s going really well and I love working for myself!”